Such is the mission of this year‚Äôs class of Presidential Teaching Professors, who share a deep commitment to creating and nurturing comprehension and knowledge despite their separate disciplines and colleges.
Harvey Blau, a professor in the Department of Mathematical Sciences within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, is the veteran of the group with more than 40 years of service at NIU and legions of alums teaching in U.S. classrooms.
Murali Krishnamurthi, a professor in the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering within the College of Engineering and Engineering Technology, pulls double-duty as director of the Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center.
And Greg Long, a professor in the School of Allied Health and Communicative Disorders within the College of Health and Human Sciences, is the leader of NIU‚Äôs first comprehensive baccalaureate review in more than a quarter-century.
‚ÄúTeaching, if not the most important thing we do here, is certainly the most important thing we do with our students, and the Presidential Teaching Professors are the best of the best,‚ÄĚ Vice Provost Earl ‚ÄúGip‚ÄĚ Seaver said.
‚ÄúHarvey Blau, Murali Krishnamurthi and Greg Long have been identified and supported by their peers for these awards, and I am proud and impressed by the commitment of these professors to not only teaching but to improving teaching.‚ÄĚ
The Presidential Teaching Professorship designation was established in 1991 to recognize outstanding teachers who have demonstrated that:
- They instill and develop in students an intensity of interest in and an appreciation for the value of the subject.
- They apply rigorous standards to student performance, inspire students to become the best and stimulate student growth.
- They command respect and esteem as a teacher.
- They demonstrate extraordinary commitment to students and their welfare.
- They explore and develop effective instructional methods and technologies.
- They work actively with students, faculty, and administrators to improve undergraduate and/or graduate education at NIU.
Each receives budgetary support and release time for the enhancement of his or her teaching skills. After four years as a Presidential Teaching Professor, each is designated a Distinguished Teaching Professor.
Click on the links below for closer looks at this year‚Äôs Presidential Teaching Professors: